Thursday, May 14, 2009

Old fashioned fun

This picture is from Lila's miserable week. She too got the high fever accompanied with a disgusto-eye. I took this picture after I had de-gooped her eye. She was miserable but still very sweet. We are all well now. You never realize how nice it is to be well, until you aren't anymore. Needless to say, I have been offering thankful prayers that we have come out of the hazy fog of sickness.

Onto the fun things. Since the weather has been so great lately, the kids have been playing outside behind our apartment more. Last week in rained leaving behind this mini-swamp. The boys loved playing in the mud and playing with sticks. Can you get any more old-fashioned boy fun than that? Sure they got muddy, but it was so worth it. It made both Spencer and me nostalgic for our youth when we could go outside and play, carefree. I think that is the reason Spencer wants land so much, so we could offer that to our boys. Land ownership may not be happening at this point in our lives, but I am very glad that our apartment has areas where the kids play and have some wholesome boy adventures, even if it is on a smaller scale.
I came home from exercising one morning around 6:30 am and discovered that our living room had been turned into a jazz lounge of sorts. Pots, lids, bread pans, and wooden spoons were the instruments. I am sure the neighbors loved us. There was only one casualty - my cheapy wooden spoon.
Ooh, I have one more shower story, as a continuation of my mess makers saga. This morning I HAD to shower. I was disgusting. When I came out, Luke and Benny were covered in Nutella. I guess after Spencer left for work, the three of them schemed up a looting of the Nutella. The truth finally came out that little Spencer opened the jar and the other boys attacked. It was more funny than anything else.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My eyes hurt and watered just looking at Lila. I am so glad everyone is better. Where did you get those cute red chairs? Love them! You are a great mom. Love you!

Lisa said...

glad to see/hear the latest antics from your place. last week i had a dream. i was talking to someone about a haircutting day that suzy was doing. the person i was talking to said 'well luke's cut is at 2:00'. in my dream, i remember feeling this excitement like "hey...that means they are here visiting!" i was disappointed to wake up. spencer's mother's day memories were extremely touching and thoughtful. we sure miss you guys and love you. give all those kids a kiss and a squeeze from afar.

Brandan and Becky said...

When I was young, our rule was "Be home before dark." We spent days roaming the neighborhood or exploring the gully behind our house (home to the romantically named Outlaw Springs.) Those will be my "back in the day" stories to tell my grandchildren.

Autumn said...

Seriously, why do we buy our kids toys? All they need is sticks and the outdoors. And locked up nutella jars.

Leslie said...

yes, where did those red chairs come from?
poor lila... she is so sweet. and how fun that the boys have had some adventures in the muddy swampy thingy. i LOVED playing in the mud when i was young. making mud pies and such.
i can't believe i am seeing this posting so late. sorry, i wasn't watching close enough. :)
love you all so much.