Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Just some stuff

No, Ace Ventura is not my favorite movie, but the following picture reminded me of the first. I was experimenting with Lila's hair and gave her her first piggy tail hairdo with the scraps on the top of her head. Of course she pulled them out. Then, later in the evening she kept bringing me clothes to put on her. In this picture she has on at least eight articles of clothing. I remember when I was a kid, probably 5 or 6, putting on every dress that I owned. I think I was going for a puffy skirt that I could twirl. I don't know what look Lila was going for or if she has any concept of such at this age. Probably not.
Spencer read the book Hatchet to the boys every night before bed. He and I both remember reading it as kids. Our boys benefit (or suffer in some cases) from our childhood nostalgia.
Luke's imagination never stops. He was happy to show us how his robot could wear his cowboy boots.
The sisters in the neighboring ward came to visit us one evening. Does the sister on the left look familiar? Sister Thompson's mission is over and she came to say good-bye. She was in this area for 7 1/2 months and I got to see her almost weekly. Jana and I grew up in the same ward since the time we were 10 or so. She lived next door to one of my best friends in high school, and Jana would come and hang out with us sometimes. It was so fun to see her in her element as a missionary. I have heard wonderful things about her from the people in the neighboring ward. She always wore a smile. I am sad that I won't get to randomly see her any more at the church. Hopefully she will come visit us when she makes her way back up to her mission.
Spencer's soccer season is in full swing. This picture captures what the younger kids do during the games. Lila pretends to be big and climbs up and down on her chair and claps when other people do. The boys are almost always off having their own adventure, not watching a lick of the game. I got some footage of Spencer's last game. Once I can find it in the labyrinth of this computer I will post it as well.
I got a bread recipe from a friend and have been trying to master the art of bread making. I love kneading the dough. It makes me feel like such a frontier woman, and the smell of bread baking, ah. Someone needs to find a way to can that aroma and make an air freshener.
It was a drizzling day. I looked out the window and these cute little ducks had waddled their way into our yard and onto our drive way. Then they casually meandered their way out to the road, just looking around.
When I was downloading these pictures I found about 50 like this next one. Based on those silly toes, I am guessing that Benny was the culprit.
Apparently I have a problem with the kids getting into stuff while I am in the shower. First Benny tests his photography skills, and then another time I found Lila like this, sitting on the keyboard, with several windows open, and our video camera dumped on the floor. I now take the chair out of the room when I shower so she can't reach the technology center of our home.In the mornings when the heat kicks on, the kids can often be found sitting on a heat vent with a blanket over them, capturing the heat. That is what they are doing here, but without the blankets.
When I brought the camera out to take the picture of the ducks, Lila immediately started chanting, "cheese" over and over again. This is the face she wanted me to take a picture of.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad to see a post again. I love the random every day stuff.
see you in about 6 weeks. woohoo

Kari said...

I love the picture of the kids on the heater. That same thing happens every morning in our household, except for it is called 'heap'. I don't have the heart to tell them it is heat, because it is so cute to hear them say, the 'heaps' on, and they all run to their designated 'heapers', (we have three in the living room), with blanket in tow! I will miss that during the summer.

Brandan and Becky said...

Hatchet is the story about the plane crash, right? That's a pretty serious book for preschoolers, but they all look like they're into it.

How great to have an old friend serve her mission here. Once we had the missionaries for dinner and one of them turned out to be my second cousin (my grandma had 10 siblings, so I didn't feel too badly for never having heard of him before.)

Karey said...

Such cute pictures. I love reading the books to the kids that we read as kids. Our latest one was Where the Red Fern Grows--again. Get out a box of kleenex (or in our case, a roll of toilet paper).

Fun to see your kids. We look forward to seeing you this summer.

aliandsander said...

Lila? Seriously cute. Actually kind of reminds me of Kim a little bit.
Man, I love that Jana. Hope she's doing well. I'll have to hook up with her at some point, maybe after she's come off her 'mission glow' and won't try and recruit me for church. ;)

How is your oven? I know when you bought the home you were concerned about its baking abilities. Do you still make magic cookies? The bread looks delish.

Anonymous said...

yo. great pics. i love lila's 'cheese' and her smile on the desk. the lighting on the kids in front of your big window is gorgeous. that is where we get our best shots around here too. love you guys! ...and who knows, maybe we'll see you soon!

Anonymous said...

'hope' is my alter-sign-in when i don't necessarily want people to know who i am. it's a long story. yup.

-lisa

Scott / Lori said...

Lila's face just needs a huge kiss. She is so cute!

Leslie said...

i LOVE seeing photos of your kids with hair! they are so cute.

you always make me laugh in your postings. i love reading them.

we used to capture the heat of the vents with blankets as well. that is where i would go as soon as i was called in the mornings for scripture reading... i would go to a vent and all asleep again until everyone made their way to the living room. ah, the good old days of childhood.

i agree with you about the bread aroma. i also have always wished that they could capture the smell of a musty basement and put that into a candle or something... OH, the smell of your shed outside... that would be a PERFECT musty smell... just the thought of it makes me want to be there and open and close the door over and over to catch a new whiff! Mmmm... you HAVE to show lisa that when she comes. she loves that smell as well. she will be in heaven.