Saturday, December 14, 2013

Snowed in

It snowed about five inches where we live.  Our area is not prepared for such chilly  precipitation. 
 School was cancelled, and then, because the temperatures were below freezing and the snow couldn't melt, they cancelled three more days of school, and had a two-hour time delay for the other remaining days of the week.
It was AWESOME!  It was so much fun having a winter break...with snow...and for it not to be Christmas break.  All responsibilities were cancelled.  Basketball games and practices were cancelled, scouts was cancelled because of a broken pipe at the church, and even church was cut down to 1-hour on Sunday.
So the following are some of our winter activities.
We hosted joy school this week and the theme was snowflakes and snowmen - perfect with our snowy conditions.  The kids dressed up as snowmen with toilet paper and accessories.
 The older boys learned to sew straight lines and they helped me sew corn bags for neighbor/friend gifts.  
I'm glad Benny has taken over the camera.  He documents way more than I ever did, like this picture below.
 As a family, and for joy school, we made these Oreo truffle and candy snowmen.

 Benny documented this bananas after I told him that it is the biggest banana I have ever seen.
 We made gingerbread houses.  Spencer, Luke, and Andrew teamed up, and big Spencer, Benny, and Lila teamed up.  I just made the gingerbread and then enjoyed watching construction.
 Spencer cutting gingerbread.
 Our snowy backyard.
 Big Spencer, Benny, and Lila's gingerbread house.
 Spencer, Luke, and Andrew's gingerbread house.
 The boys wanted to make up a skit like Studio C.  They called it, baseball awkward avoidance Viking.  Awkward avoidance Viking is a reoccuring character from Studio C.
 Lila as a snowman (minus the buttons) for joy school.
 Also for joy school, we had snowman pancakes.
Thank you pinterest for making me feel crafty and creative, even though technically I am not since I just used other people's ideas :).

2 comments:

Aaron and Emily said...

I love this post. After seeing your snowman pancakes, we are inspired now to make breakfast for dinner tomorrow night. I need to get your gingerbread recipe - I only make soft cookies for the gingerbread boys, they crumble and don't make houses. Those truffle snowman look cool, were they hard to make? Love that Benny is the family photographer. Staying home with the kids is so fun, isn't it?

Brandan and Becky said...

Do you feel like you moved back to Utah? Except that school would not be canceled. Love all your snowman photos-- Benny is a great photojournalist.