Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Kenneth LeRoy Van

Kenneth LeRoy Van 1923 ~ 2009 Kenneth LeRoy Van passed away Friday, September 4, 2009 from causes incident to age. Born May 22, 1923 to Clifford and Beatrice Eustance Van Valkenburg in Murray, Utah. He married Merilyn Tervort, June 1, 1946 in Payson, Utah. Later solemnized in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. Ken was an avid sports enthusiast participating in basketball, football, baseball and track. He supported the Utes, Jazz and semi-pro baseball in Salt Lake City. Ken served for four years in the Navy during World War II. He enjoyed various callings in the LDS Church including serving several years on the Church Athletic Committee. Ken worked 40 years for Phillips Petroleum Woods Cross Refinery. Ken is survived by his daughters, Vickie (Jeff) Johnsen, Julene (Richard) McConkie, Patti Charles, and son, Michael (Diana) Van; 18 grandchildren and 40 great-grand-children. Preceded in death by his wife, Merilyn, his daughter, Sandra, and a sister, Sheron. Funeral services will be held Thursday, September 10, 2009 at 11:00 a.m. at the Bountiful 9th Ward, 585 East Center. Visitation will be held Wednesday evening from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. at Russon Brothers Bountiful Mortuary, 295 North Main and Thursday morning 9:45 - 10:45 a.m. at the church prior to services. Interment- Bountiful City Cemetery.
My grandpa passed away last Friday. We are off this week for a whirlwind trip to Utah to attend the funeral. I will miss my grandpa and his funny nature and spunky spirit but I can only imagine the joy he and my grandma had when they were reunited. We love you Grandpa.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

nice tribute. i love the pictures. he is a handsome man. drive safely.

Anonymous said...

what a sweet tribute. i'm sorry it is so whirlwind. if it was just you, we would love to fly you in. wish we could fly all of you in. every time i drove past his house, i would feel sad for him. missing his wife. I'm glad they are together again. Love you lots. Drive safe and we'll see you soon.

Brandan and Becky said...

I'm sorry that your grandpa passed away. Hope you have a safe trip and a good visit with your family. Sounds like you have a lot to remember together.

Scott / Lori said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I think you are right, I am sure he and your Grandma are enjoying a blessed reunion. Have a safe trip, we are excited to see you.

Leslie said...

what a cute couple. i am excited to see you guys this week, but it is sad circumstances.
i am glad he is with his eternal companion now though... what a blessing.