I was driving through Glide, Oregon a couple of days ago. It is always neat to go through there because it was one of the first places my parents lived. My dad's first job out of college was teaching high school at Glide High School. He taught one school year; 1965-66. They lived in a little apartment above a mechanic shop. The building is still there but it has been home to many different businesses since the garage closed.
I have passed Glide High School many times. I even taught a weather/hydrology class there one time. This time I realized that they probably still had old year books so I stopped and checked. They did. Here is what I found...
(I am just including all pics even if they are similar so that family can copy what they want...)
Closer up of the same.
Closest up of the same.
Again.
Dad coaching junior varsity wrestling
Same
Again
And again
Dad coaching baseball
Dad coaching baseball. I don't think anything being pointed at was worth blocking dad's face for this photo.
This was dad's official staff photo. Look at the style and grace and power with which he teaches.
Subjects: American Problems (they thought they had problems then?!), World Geography, World History, and Freshman Class Advisor. Not listed: Wrestling and baseball coach.
Same
Same close up
Dad handing out awards at the awards assembly.
Close up
I sure do love my mom and dad. Neat to see what was going on so long ago in this little town in SW Oregon.
I had to include this one. Check out that jump. Not only the have uniforms changed but so have the moves.
I think we made progress by switching from this old style swim suit, but too much "progress" was made with the swim suit becoming the bikini. Kind of a funny pic though.
I came across a name I recognized but didn't know he belonged in this year book. My dad's cousin Merlin bodily also taught with dad at Glide High School. I didn't know this until I saw him in the year book. Merlin, Uncle David, and my dad were like the 3 musketeers. This must have been fun for dad to work with Merlin. He is the guy in the back; 4th from left or right.
Merlin Bodily's official staff photo. Subjects taught: Senior Basic Math, Chemistry, Physics, Geometry, Cross Country Coach, Junior Class Advisor, Track Coach
Same
Merlin Bodily, far right. Track team
Again
Merlin, far right at track meet in Riddle, OR
Again, far right. Cross Country team
Far right
And finally, this is my grandmother running track at Glide High School the year my dad taught. Obviously it isn't really her, but she's a dead ringer!
I also had the chance to teach a class at Prospect High School where my Uncle Dennis taught from 1962-1966? Unfortunately, they couldn't find the old year books. I did however find his name listed as class advisor a couple of times on the photos in the library. The average graduating class at Prospect High School at the time was roughly 5 students. I'll try again to find some photos of him at Prospect.



























5 comments:
this was awesome. thanks spence!
and that last photo of 'grandma' made me laugh... yep... out loud.
thanks for taking these photos and posting them.
love you.
that was fantastic. thanks for sharing this. i'm glad you get to feel this kinship with such good men. studs!
now that you've fulfilled your mission there by taking pics of these pics, you can move back here.
This is so cool. Seriously! I loved that. I even got a little teary-eyed. He was so young and handsome. And I don't know if I knew Merlyn Bodily worked there. Or that Grandma even ran track, let alone for Dad's school. That must have been fun for him to watch.
Thanks for tracking these down. It was great.
loved this so much. Brought back memories for me as well as for Dad.
Karey was a year old and Richard was born when we lived in Glide. Two little kids. It was pretty fun to go to the games and wrestling matches when Dad coached. Good times. Thanks so much Spencer, for the trip down memory lane. LMH
This is so cool. You are awesome Spencer to make the most of these things. Good job.
Post a Comment